EVENTS REPUBLIC - Events Planning and Coordination


Blogs Post New Entry

Church Requirements for Filipino-Foreigner Marriages

Posted by Margarita S. Baula on July 16, 2010 at 5:06 AM

1. Clearance: Foreigners who wish to apply for marriage with a Filipino citizen must first secure clearance from the Archdiocesan Chancery Office at the Arzobispado de Manila, 121 Arzobispo St., Intramuros, Manila (near Manila Cathedral). This clearance must be submitted to the Parish Office upon filing of application for the wedding.


2. Baptismal Certificate: This must the original and obtained not more than three months from the wedding date. It must have the annotation: "FOR MARRIAGE PURPOSE ONLY." This is a requirement for BOTH bride and groom whether they are Catholic or not.


3. Certification of Freedom to Marry: This can be obtained from the Catholic Pastor, Protestant Minister or the Embassy of the foreigner.


4. Marriage License: This can be obtained from the civil authorities; or a Marriage Contract if already married with the civil registry number.


5. Permission and Certification of Singularity: This can be obtained from the parish of the bride if she is Catholic. CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage Record) may also be obtained at the National Statitics Office in leiu of this.

6. Marriage Banns: These have to be posted for three consecutive Sundays.

Additional Requirements for Specific Cases


For Military personnel: a Military clearance has to be secured from the base military authorities specifically from the immediate Commanding Offices ONLY if any of the parties belong to the military.


For Non-Catholics: A certification of his/her legal capacity to marry. Has to be obtained from his/her embassy or from the country of origin.


For Mixed-Marriages: A dispensation from the impediment of mixed marriage/religion (Disparitas Cultas) has to be obtained if necessary.


Widow and Widower: The death certificate of the former spouse has to be presented to the parish office.


For Divorced parties: A document of the Declaration of Nullity promulgated by the Catholic Memorial Tribunal or a certification from the Bishop of the party that he/she is free to marry has to be presented to the Archdiocesan Chancery Office for authentication and clearance.


For Japanese citizens: A clearance must be obtained from Fr. Toru Nishimoto, CSSR. His office is at Traveller's Life Bldg., T.M. Kalaw St., Ermita, Manila.

For Chinese citizens: A clearance must be obtained from Msgr. Peter Tsao, SVD. His office is at the St. Jude Parish, J.P. Laurel St., San Miguel, Manila. Tel No.: 735.6408.


For other nationalities: Ask your respective embassy here in the Philippines for any requirement needed before getting married wih a Filipino national. A complete listing of Foreign Embassies in the Philippines is posted at the Department of Foreign Affairs' Diplomatic and Consular List (countries are listed alphabetically).


For American citizens: below is the detailed discussion of the necessary requirements.


How to Get Married in the Philippines if You are a U.S. Citizen

article origianlly appeared in


The U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines, states that the requirements for getting married in the Philippines, if you are a U.S. Citizen, are as follows:


Affidavit of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage

Philippine law requires a citizen or subject of a foreign country to obtain a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage, issued by the diplomatic or consular offices of his or her country, prior to the issuance of a marriage license in the Philippines.

As American consular officers are specially prohibited from certifying that any U.S. citizen has the capacity to marry, the Philippine government has agreed to accept as substantial compliance with the Philippine law, an Affidavit in Lieu of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage (“affidavit”;). The Affidavit attests to the absence of any legal impediment to the marriage and is sworn to before an American consular officer. Therefore, U.S. citizens wishing to marry in the Philippines must appear personally before a consular officer, either at the U.S. Embassy in Manila or the U.S. consulate in Cebu City and complete the Affidavit concerning their own capacity to marry. There is a $10.00 service fee, subject to change, for the notarial service.


At the time a U.S. citizen appears to execute the Affidavit, he or she must present the following:


1. Proof of Citizenship

Examples of sufficient evidence of U.S. citizenship are:

a. current registration as U.S. citizen at the Passport and Citizenship Office of the Embassy or at the Consulate

b. a U.S.passport

c. a birth certificate issued in the United States or a record of birth abroad issued by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, together with identification bearing a picture or a physical description or

d. a Certificate of Naturalization.


2. Evidence of Termination of Previous Marriage(s)

If the U.S. citizen has been previously married, evidence of termination of the previous marriage, such as a certified copy of the final decree of divorce or annulment, or a certified copy of the death certificate of the deceased spouse must be submitted.


3. Parents' Consent or Advice

Under Philippine law, the legal age for marriage is 18. If the contracting parties are between the ages of 18 and 21, they must present written consent to the marriage from their father, mother or legal guardian. Any contracting party between the age of 22 and 25 must present written parental advice, i.e., a written indication that the parents are aware of the couple's intent to marry.


4. Military Approval

An active member of the United States Armed Forces wishing to execute the Affidavit must present a letter of approval of the marriage from the appropriate military authority. Military personnel NOT assigned in the Philippines are also required to obtain their authorization from their respective commanding officer. Military members are encouraged to plan well in advance of the intended wedding date and to discuss the requirements with their own command personnel office.


Marriage Procedure

The procedure to marry in the Philippines is as follows:


1. Secure the Affidavit in lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage from the American Service Branch of the U.S. Embassy in Manila or from the U.S. consulate in Cebu City. If both the bride and the groom are U.S. citizens, each one must obtain an Affidavit.


2. Apply for the marriage license at the Local Civil Registrar from the municipality where either the bride or the groom habitually resides. The documents necessary for the marriage license are:

a. the Affidavit for the U.S.citizen bride or groom.

b. the death certificate or divorce decree which shows the termination of any previous marriage(s) of the bride and/or the groom

c. the birth, baptismal or residency certificate for the Filipino bride or groom, and

d. the parental consent or advice, if either party is under age.

e. Philippine law prescribes a ten-day waiting period from the filing of the Application to the issuance of the marriage license. The license is valid for 120 days and maybe used anywhere in the Philippines.

f. Present the license to a person authorized to perform marriage ceremonies, such as judge, justice of the peace, priest or minister of religion.


3. Passport Amendment - a female U.S. citizen may have her passport ammended to indicate her married name. She should bring her passport and a certified true copy of the Marriage contract to the Passport 7 Citizenship Office of the U.S. Embassy in Manila or the U.S. Consulate in Cebu City. This amendment is not obligatory and there is no fee for this service.


Entry of Alien Spouse into the United States

Marriage of a foreign national to a U.S. citizen does not automatically confer United States citizenship upon the alien spouse. He or she must be petitioned by the U.S. citizen spouse as an immigrant to the United States. An alien spouse is almost never eligible for a non-immigrant visitor vista to the United States. In almost all cases, the existence of the marital relationship between the U.S. citizen and the alien makes the alien spouse an intending immigrant to the United States and, by definition, ineligible for a temporary visa.


The procedure to obtain an immigrant visa for an alien spouse is as follows:

1. File the Immigrant Visa Petition: The Petition Form I-130 for an immigrant visa for an alien spouse should be filed at the INS office nearest the Petitioner's place of residence. Only a U.S. citizen who is also a resident of the Philippines may file the petition at the INS office at Room 1036 of the U.S. Embassy in Manila. All others MUST file the petition at the INS office in the United States closest to his or her residence.

When filing the petition, the following documents must be submitted:

a. a certified copy of the marriage certificate

b. proof of U.S.citizenship

c. a certified copy of evidence of termination of any prior marriage(s) for either spouse, if applicable, and

d. $75.00 or its equivalent in pesos, to cover the statutory fee for filing the petition.


2. Obtain the Immigrant Visa: When the approved petition is received by the immigrant Visa Branch of the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Manila, it will notify the foreign spouse and provide guidance concerning the subsequent steps to be completed in order to obtain a visa. The applicant must obtain a passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, police certificate, affidavit of support, photographs, and medical examination according to specifications provided in the instructions. The visa is good for four months from the date issuance.

It can take anywhere from two to four months from the date the petition is approved by INS to the date of the issuance of the immigrant visa. If a field investigation is required, the time period may be even longer. Therefore, a U.S. citizen should not plan to take the alien spouse back to the United States immediately following the marriage. The non-resident US citizen spouse should be prepared to leave the alien spouse behind to complete the required documentation.

Because of the time involved in processing the petition and the application for an immigrant visa, those individuals living in the Philippines on assignment, either government or private, are advised to initiate the required documentation for their spouse's and/or step-children's visas as far in advance of the anticipated rotation date as possible.


Note: A separate visa petition must be filed by the U.S. citizen spouse for each child of the alien spouse under the age of 18 at the time of the marriage who wishes to immigrate to the United States. Those children 18 years of age and older at the time of the marriage must be petitioned by the alien spouse after he or she becomes legal permanent resident in the United States. Under U.S. immigration law, only step parent'schildren under the age of 18 at the time of their natural parent's marriage to a U.S. citizen are considered a “child” of the U.S. citizen for immigration purpose.


Fiancée Visa

It is possible to file a petition for an alien to enter the U.S. as the fiancée of an American citizen. The procedure is similar to the procedure for filing a petition and obtaining an immigrant visa for an alien spouse although, fiancée petitions must be filed in the INS office within the U.S. nearest to the petitioner's residence. The petitioner will be asked to submit evidence of his or her U.S. citizenship and evidence that he or she has met the fiancée in person within the last two (2) years. He or she may also be required to present evidence of the bona fide of the relationship with the fiancée.


When approved, the petition will be forwarded to the Immigrant Visa Branch of the U.S. Embassy in Manila. The Philippine fiancée will subsequently be provided by the Embassy with instructions on how to proceed with his or her fiancée visa application. Again, the time period from the date the petition is approved by INS to the date the visa is issued is approximately two to four months and can be longer if a field investigation is required.


The fiancée visa grants the fiancée six months from the time of issuance to enter the U.S. Upon entry, the fiancée has ninety days in which to marry the petitioner. Once the marriage has taken place, the alien spouse can apply to adjust status to that of legal permanent resident at the INS office nearest to his or her place of residence.


Note: U.S. immigration law concerning the children of an alien fiancée is not the same as that concerning the children of the alien spouse. The U.S. citizen fiancée does NOT have to file a separate petition for each of the alien fiancée's unmarried children under 21 at the time the alien fiancée enters the U.S. The U.S. citizen only needs to indicate the names and date of birth of the children in the appropriate block on the petition for alien fiancée. The children will automatically be included in the petition. Unmarried children over the age 21 can be separately petitioned by the alien fiancée after he or she has adjusted status in the U.S. to that of legal permanent resident.

Categories: None

Post a Comment


Oops, you forgot something.


The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

Already a member? Sign In


Reply Victor
6:16 PM on December 7, 2017 
Recently, I got carried away by Russian Ukrainian Cuisine, they have very tasty old-time recipes and many well-known chefs made websites in English so that their national cuisine was known all over the world! For example, the site of Eugene Klopotenko is one of the best chefs of the country winner Master Chef 5 and here are his best recipes
Reply Michaelnug
8:57 AM on October 19, 2017 - order cover letter editor for hire for school,buy movie review writers sites online,cheap homework editing services usa
Reply Michaelnug
2:42 AM on October 13, 2017 - cheap chemistry experiments
, hello and buy!, hello and buy!
Reply Ulysis
1:41 AM on October 13, 2017 
Take note that when your fiancée is already in the US, you only have 90 days to marry her or else she will be sent home.

For you reference of what will happen if you will not marry your fiancée within 90 days here
Reply Michaelnug
6:14 AM on October 12, 2017 - 5 sildenafil no prescription
, hello and buy!, hello and buy!
Reply Michaelnug
2:14 AM on October 11, 2017 - treatments for chlamydia pneumoniae
, hello and buy!, hello and buy!
Reply Anton
5:22 AM on August 23, 2017 
At the time, I found to my sister's a very good software to correctly fill in immigration forms. . You can immediately check whether you are eligible for a K-visa. And to complete all the necessary forms for the fiancee visa
Reply Ulysis
12:40 AM on November 4, 2016 
For more information about fiance or K1 visa process you can find reliable resource at this page
Reply marilyn
10:01 PM on July 22, 2013 
hi! I am a filipina 51 years old,i have a boyfriend foreigner 67 years old.were living together for more than 3 years.the problem he is married before filipina women her ex.he is divorced to here country for here ex wife fil.can you assets what is enable to do, I and my partner can getting married.?
Reply K
6:32 AM on January 28, 2013 
Hi! What if both are Filipinos but migrated to Canada? Are they still considered citizens or will they need to apply for legal requirements as foreigners? Can a third party who is not related claim and apply for the different legal documents? What about the seminars?
Reply Vhem
8:44 AM on January 23, 2012 
Hi, i am filipina and my fiancee is Indian nationality. He's divorced. We are planning to get married as Civil Wedding in Manila. Please assesst me if what are the reuqirement which is required in our case. We will be having 15 days leave only from our job. And we want to ensure that particular period we can arrange the necessary things.

Look forward to your kind response.
3:19 AM on August 19, 2011 
Grace Adana-Bester says...
good day i have clarification about this information above just wanna ask if i dont need this requirements in the said above if i got married in canada already. we had a marriage certificate already but we plan to go back in the philippines with my canadian husband wants to marry in the church in davao city philippines,. i am a filipina but me and my husband married in canada as a civil wedding but we wish to re marry again in the church in davao city.. just want to know what things to do. im looking forward to hear my question. thanks

i may say that, you just get informations in advance to your place if they
would be able to give the consent you want.
But then, in my part, maybe you should be follow all the requirements held in above. Because that all the guidelines for entering the marriage
in a foreign.
Reply Grace Adana-Bester
3:44 AM on July 13, 2011 
good day i have clarification about this information above just wanna ask if i dont need this requirements in the said above if i got married in canada already. we had a marriage certificate already but we plan to go back in the philippines with my canadian husband wants to marry in the church in davao city philippines,. i am a filipina but me and my husband married in canada as a civil wedding but we wish to re marry again in the church in davao city.. just want to know what things to do. im looking forward to hear my question. thanks


  • "They are my favorite supplier. From the day I booked Events Republic they never failed me or disappointed me. Ang bait ni Marg, she replies sa text messages ko kapag may questi..."
    Charito Chan
    Happy Newly Weds
  • "Who else could pull off organizing a wedding- from the church ceremony to the reception by a 2-woman team- no other than Marg and Jhoan of course! :) Nothing beats your labor of..."
    Yeng & Laurice Maggay
    Super thanks! :)
  • "Thank you for all your efforts to push everything that we planned for our wedding. Despite several glitches, the team managed to handle each of them very well. Thanks also for p..."
    Sol Caco-Landicho
    Thank you girls!

Upcoming Wedding/Events

No upcoming events

Subscribe To Our Site

Share on Facebook

Share on Facebook